Waste Recovery Facilities
Notice: Re-Opening of Waste Recovery Facilities
Waste Recovery Facilities in Bay Bulls, Renews-Cappahayden, Placentia, St. Joseph’s, Cavendish, Old Perlican, Harbour Grace, Sunnyside, Whitbourne, and Clarenville will be reopening using a phased approach.
Beginning June 2, 2020, residents can use the facilities based on the schedule below:
Tuesday, June 2 & 9: Surnames A – H
Thursday, June 4 & 11: Surnames I – P
Saturday, June 6 & 13: Surnames Q – Z
There will be extended hours of operation on your scheduled day:
8:00 – 11:30 a.m. and 12:30 – 4:00 p.m. (Gates close 11:15 a.m. and 3:45 p.m.)
We will return to regular hours of operation on June 14, 2020.
- All bagged waste must be in clear (transparent) bags. This is to reduce risk to our employees by minimizing contact with waste materials. Waste in dark (non-transparent) garbage bags will not be permitted on site.
- Maintain a safe physical distance of 2m (6ft) from staff and other visitors.
- If you are feeling unwell, stay home.
- Limit of 2 vehicles allowed on site at a time.
- Maximum of 2 persons per vehicle allowed on site.
- Pre-sort materials so it may be offloaded in 10 minutes or less.
- Anticipate line-ups and delays—please be patient and remain in your vehicle.
After June 14, 2020
HOURS OF OPERATION
- Tuesdays and Thursdays - 12:00 p.m. to 4;00 p.m.*
- Saturdays - 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.*
*Note: Gates will be closed 15 minutes before the facility closes.
These sites are for residential drop off for any item that cannot be brought to the curb for regular weekly collection such as appliances, furniture, mattresses, hot water tanks, electronics (in conjunction with the Electronic Products Recycling Association), cell phones (in conjunction with the Recycle My Cell program), metals, propane tanks, car and truck tires with rims removed (in conjunction with the MMSB Used Tire Recycling program), ATV and motorcycle tires, construction and demolition material, shingles, brush, etc. We will not take anything that is recyclable or materials that decompose, including cardboard, clothing, food items, leaves, grass clippings and fish nets.
Woodchips are available to the public at some of the sites for pick up free of charge – supply is limited and will vary by site. Please check with the Site Attendant for more information.
These sites do not accept commercial material including materials from contractors or businesses. Trucks having any commercial signage will be refused entry.
A limit of 16 visits will be permitted to any waste recovery facility. All material must be offloaded by hand.
The Clarenville Facility has different hours of operations. More details here.
Access to these sites is limited to hours of operation.